The QuoteGarden – the best single source of quotations
Quotations about life http://www.quotegarden.com/life.html
‘You can fool some of the kids some of the time, but they know when you’re wearing the mask, and you know they know. They force you into truth. If you contradict yourself, they’ll call out. Hey, that’s not what you said last week. You face years of experience and their collective truth and if you insist on hiding behind the teacher mask you lose them. Even if they lie to themselves and the world they look for honesty in the teacher.’
Frank McCourt (2005) Teacher Man London: Harper
A university professor went to visit a famous Zen master. While the master quietly served tea, the professor talked about Zen. The master poured the visitor’s cup to the brim, and then kept pouring. The professor watched the overflowing cup until he could no longer restrain himself. “It’s overfull! No more will go in!” the professor blurted. “You are like this cup,” the master replied, “How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup.”
articles in honour of Abraham Joshua Heschel
eight takeaways from Ignore Everybody by Hugh MacLeod.
1. The more original your idea is, the less good advice people will be able to give you.
2. Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships that is why good ideas are always initially resisted.
3. Your idea doesn’t have to be big. It just has to be alone. The more the idea is yours alone, the more freedom you have to do something really amazing.
4. The price of being a sheep is boredom. The price of being a wolf is loneliness. Choose one or the other with great care.
5. Being good at anything is like figure skating – the definition of being good at it is being able to make it look easy. But it never is easy. Ever. That is what the stupidly wrong people conveniently forget.
6. Your job is probably worth 50 percent of what it was in real terms ten years ago. And who knows? It may very well not exist in five to ten years…Stop worrying about technology. Start worrying about people who trust you.
7. Part of being a master is learning to sing in nobody else’s voice but your own…Put your whole self into it, and you will find your true voice. Hold back and you won’t. Its that simple.
8. The biggest mistake young people make is underestimating how competitive the world is out there.
My other 9 sites and their connections
Updated 25th Sept 2009
To navigate around my sites I have put a link on each to the description below.
A) My CENTRAL ‘META-SITE’
Site 1) – 1000 ways of celebrating the human spirit (SunWALKed) click HERE – many of my posts from niche sites also posted there (it is my original site)
B) NICHE SITES
Site 2) – Human-centred Studies for professional & personal development is HERE – This is (or will be) addressed to a professional development type of audience – as in an ‘MA’
Site 3) – Self-coaching for Personal and Professional Development – HERE – the emphasis in this course is on self-coaching of the individual by the individual – rather than of the professional dimension.
Sites 4) 5) and 6) – 3 Additional sites that support sites 2 and 3;
i) OneSummit: many paths – click HERE – the Perennial Wisdom/Philosophy inter-faith/pan- faith/no-faith spirituality section of the courses – especially for those students who have done Perennial Wisdom/Philosophy courses with me. Can be a discrete course.
ii) Quotations Treasury – is HERE – a personal data-base of stuff – I wish I had done this before and during my PhD studies! It’s public so others can benefit from it – will be more and more useful as the months go by.
iii) Dictionary of Concepts and Terms – for all of my sites is – a glossary for all my blogs + budding articles (tell me what needs to be added as a priority) see HERE
Site 7) PhD – most of my work is an ongoing outcome of my doctoral studies. The thesis title was – Spiritualizing Pedagogy: education as the art of working with the human spirit – see HERE
Site Bahá’í in Process is HERE – issues concerning my take on the processes in, on and around the Bahá’í community and its teachings (incorporating my take on Bahá’í Education and Bahá’í-inspired education)
Site 9) My Posterous site (brilliant system) is called SunWALKing – is – HERE
Site 10) Short-term blog on Reform UK Politics NOW – HERE – we have a once-in-a-life-time chance to get fair voting etc. in the UK – because of expenses scandal.
Marion Prentice Fine Art site– HERE
CHINA PHOTOS – Our China photos are here;
China 1 – HERE
China 2 – HERE